Oregon State University and the University of Oregon have joined forces to launch the TallWood Design Institute (TDI)!
TallWood Design Institute (TDI) is an industry-academic collaboration that unites practitioners with faculty from top U.S. wood products, engineering and sustainable design programs to advance research and education on mass timber and other structural wood building solutions. TDI's unique and interdisciplinary activities are made possible by diverse faculty expertise, cutting-edge facilities and critical partnerships with manufacturers, designers and other stakeholders.
- Diverse research expertise in areas including fire performance, wood durability, connections, acoustics, market development and modular design.
- Home to the A.A. “Red” Emmerson Advanced Wood Products Laboratory, one of the nation’s largest dedicated structural timber research facilities
- An advanced manufacturing laboratory with CLT press, CNC machine and robotic equipment for product and process development, testing and teaching.
- The Energy Studies in Buildings Laboratory at University of Oregon, one of the nation’s premier research labs for energy efficiency.
- Home to the Green Building Materials Laboratory and the Multi-Chamber Modular Environmental Conditioning system, one of only three such weathering chambers in the world.
- Future home of one of the only certified acoustic testing laboratories in the Western U.S.
- Supported the development of the first U.S. APA/ANSI certified structural cross-laminated timber manufacturer (D.R. Johnson Wood Innovations)
- Supported the development of the world’s first Mass Plywood Panels (Freres Lumber Company)
- Partnered with the City of Springfield on durability testing for a 214,000 sq. ft. mass timber parking structure
- Providing technical testing to support pioneering building projects, and working with industry partners to translate research into design guidelines.
- Through UO’s leadership in building performance, providing guidance on acoustics, energy, durability and air quality.
- Providing integrated curriculum and hands-on training to help educate a new generation of architects, building officials, engineers and manufacturers
- on advanced wood products and their applications.
- Providing workshops and other continuing education and networking opportunities for building professionals and mass timber enthusiasts.
- Finalizing development of a comprehensive certificate program in mass timber manufacturing.
- Offering peer-to-peer learning through the Critical Mass (Timber) meetup group’s monthly gatherings and other networking events.